Mountain bikes: GROMOS MTB Club
- Klasie Lategan +27(0)82 441 7198
Roadies: le Peloton
- Plaas Botha +27(0)83 709 3628
- Christiaan Lorenzen +27(0)83 441 5861
- Attakwas Xtreme Mountain Bike Challenge – Usually in January. (121 km MTB marathon and 52 km mountain bike ride.) More information here
- DCM Cape Pioneer Trek – Usually inOctober. (A six-day mountain bike stage race on a route that traverses two mountain ranges, crosses the Klein Karoo and passes through the forests of the Garden Route coast.) More information here
- Jakkalsdraai Mountain Bike Challenge – Usually inOctober. (Enjoy mountain biking through the vineyards at Jakkalsvlei – Mossel Bays only wine estate. 10, 30 and 50 km courses.) More information here
- Great Brak Grabadoo – 31 December (by tradition on Old Year’s Day: usually 55, 35, and 15 km mountain bike routes; 40 and 20 km road routes; 5 and 10 km walking routes.)
Mossel Bay’s Mountain Biking Destinations
Offers a variety of technical single tracks for moderate to fit riders. Bonniedale is also the access point for the Attakwaskloof (follow the Attakwaskloof to the Robinsons Pass and back = 40 km), and the starting point for various 2-day routes:
- Over the Attakwaskloof, onto the Paardebont Road between the Gamkaberg Nature Reserve and the Outeniqua Mountains and into the Rooiberg Pass. Overnight at Rooiberg Lodge. (60 km). 2nd day: ride through van Wyksdorp towards the Langeberg, take the R327 eastwards and ride via the ghost town of Woeska to Bonniedale (70 km).
- Ride over the Cloetes Pass and overnight at Dwarsriver (50 km). 2nd day: ride towards Herbertsdale and take the Suurvlakte turn-off; follow the Langeberg on the border of Gondwana Nature Reserve and ride past Hagelkraal to Bonniedale (70 km)
More information: +27(0)44 695 3175 www.bonniedale.com
Eight Bells Mountain Inn
The well marked Rooster Hiking Trails offer a range of different walks and rides with panoramic views. A number of longer forestry trails are also available in the area. The hotel hosts the annual Eight Bells Enduro (August).
More information: +27(0)44 631 0000 www.eightbells.co.za
Jakkalsvlei Private Cellar
Ride in style in the vineyards of Mossel Bays only wine estate. Both gentle and challenging routes available. Picnickers welcome, and wine tasting is available (closed Sundays). Jakkalsvlei hosts the annual Jakkalsdraai Mountain Bike Challenge (October).
More information: +27(0)28 7352061 www.jakkalsvlei.co.za